314-205-8600 or 888-BJC-HOME
When individuals suffer from a disease of the gastrointestinal tract, they may experience problems absorbing enough nutrients to prevent malnutrition. Nutrition support also benefits those who have trouble swallowing or who are suffering from malnutrition.
Patients receive special nutrition either through a needle or catheter to their veins, or through a feeding tube into their stomachs. These ways of delivering nutrition are called either parenteral nutrition (through the veins) or enteral nutrition (through a feeding tube).
Our nutrition support team helps patients lead fuller, richer lives. We provide this service for those being cared for at home, in senior living facilities or where individuals are receiving rehabilitation.
- Nutrition support services are provided to home care patients, as well as those in long-term care and rehabilitative care.
- Our staff educates patients, families and caregivers about parenteral and enteral nutrition care.
- Our nutrition care results in decreased susceptibility to infection, increased ability to combat infection, and accelerated wound healing.
- All lab work is provided directly to the patient’s physician each morning, saving time and phone calls.
- Our staff is involved in research to increase knowledge about clinical nutrition and metabolism.
- Our local pharmacists and nurses are available 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.
- A monitoring device attached to the pump module enhances the safety of our automatically compounded TPN. During compounding, the system will immediately stop and alarm if an incorrect solution type is detected.
- By following our standardized protocols, additional blood draws are not necessary for the stable patient, saving the patient inconvenience, time and costs.
- Our pharmacists have the unique ability to understand the complete picture using clinical desktops to access patient information.
Nutrition services are appropriate for people with:
- High-risk pregnancy
- Renal disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Metabolic disorders
- Cardiovascular disease
- Pre- and post-transplant
Our team consists of:
- Medical director
- Registered nurses
- Registered and licensed dietitians certified in nutrition support
- Licensed pharmacists
- Local pharmacists and nurses available 24 hours per day, 365 days a year
Our staff collaborates with:
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital support team
- BJC Nutritional Counseling Services
- BJC Diabetic Education Center